Thursday 26 July 2012

Reflections 1 - Scottish Jag Day...

It has been almost a month since the last update so I thought it was about time I put a few thoughts down relating to the two shows I've been to (so far), as well as the ongoing progress with H9 WAP.

As mentioned in the last post she was due for a service. This was only partially completed due to a lack of ramp space at the garage, but at least the plugs and air filter were changed and all the fluids were checked. The oil and its filter are still in the garage just waiting for a time when they'll be used. Sooner rather than later I hope. Needless to say, I forgot to take pictures of the procedure for replacing the plugs and air filter but it is simple enough. The payoff for such an easy task has been smoother running, better idling and a wee increase in economy. I've also been able to keep the old plugs as spares since they seemed to be in good condition.

The price for 6 plugs, filters and 10 litres of oil was only around £60 so anyone who says running a Jag is expensive must be shopping in the wrong places!

With the partial service done my boss took the car for a spin and remarked on how good it was. There are a few wee things that could be done with being sorted, chief among them is the upper timing chain tensioner. A new part direct from Jag will come in at about £50. Fitting costs would not be cheap however. I'm on a budget so will source a good 2nd hand spare for much less and fit it easy enough on the roadside myself.

So, with the partial service done and a full tank of fuel, I geared up for the Scottish Jaguar Day on the 1st July. On the morning of the show I discovered that a flock of Seagulls had 'painted' the car. I don't know what they feed on in Edinburgh, but judging by the amount of, and appearance, of what comes out, it's probably best not to know! On route to Doune I stopped in Dunipace to pick up my Dad and cleaned the car as best as possible. I got most of the stuff off and we made the show in good time, helping to set up the Gazebo before the rest of the Edinburgh & South East JEC members arrived. Once that was done I set about polishing and cleaning while Dad chilled out. Here are a few pics of the event...



My Dad and 'The Beastie' as he calls her! 



Some of the Edinburgh & South East JEC cars



See the wheels on the burgundy Jag? Thinking about a set of them for mine...

It was a really relaxed, chilled out day. Productive too in that I got a lot of detailed cleaning done, bought a complete set of handbooks plus the correct folder, as well as a replacement keyfob (which I really need to programme at some point...). The Jag ran really well for the whole trip, a wee bit noisy though when revved thanks to the tensioner and blown exhaust backbox, but other than that there was no drama. There was plenty of automotive eye candy from E-Types to an SS100, XKR's S-Types, plus a random Mustang, and the company was excellent. Roll on next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment