Monday 24 September 2012

Diamonds are forever...

When new, my Jag was fitted with Diamond Turned 20-spoke alloy wheels. They were the same as the normal Sovereign wheels but, instead of a painted finish, the spokes received a gentle grind from a diamond equipped tool which brought out the naturally shiny glow of the aluminium alloy used to make them. A lacquer was then applied to stop any corrosion. Sadly, over time, the lacquer can crack and allow moisture in, which is exactly what has happened to my alloys. They look awful.

I had made some enquiries about refinishing the wheels but people were saying it isn't possible to get them back to the original state. I'd have to settle for a painted finish. It's either that, or choose a totally different type of wheel altogether. However, I might have found a place that can help. It would cost a bit of money, and I'd need replacement wheels to use while mine are sent off, but it does seem possible that the Jag's boots will gleam again. Here's what they should look like... I'll keep you updated on progress.

  
Do want, x4 please...

No comments:

Post a Comment