Wednesday 29 February 2012

Day Three - MOT

I dropped the Jag off this morning at Restalrig Cars in Edinburgh (formerly known as Edinburgh Retro Cars) fully expecting it to fail the MOT test. By the end of today I wasn't surprised at the result - it failed - but I am smiling at the fact all she failed on was one worn out tyre, a knackered lower balljoint and a handful of blown bulbs. The bulbs and a fuse were swapped out in-house today and two tyres plus a balljoint are on order so that they can be fitted in a couple of days time, then H9 WAP can have a retest. All being well she'll pass at the 2nd time of asking.

Although not an advisory, John at the garage pointed out that the offside front coil spring has broke, losing just half a coil. The bit that fell off seems to already have had a broken end, so replacement will be needed. Pig of a job apparently though.

The clunk from the offside suspension is still there which likely to be caused by that duff spring. I will have the car up on a ramp tomorrow anyway so will take a closer look at it all myself.

Something else to review is the bulb situation. The tailights sorted themselves out the other day but one stopped working again tonight - the opposite side from before. The bulb though seems to be OK. I'll test it tomorrow and give all the contacts for the wiring a bit of a clean just to make sure all is well.

The main job for tomorrow though is draining and flushing the coolant. I've got replacement stuff plus de-ionised water ready to go. Haven't ordered a thermostat, but will test what's there first just to check it is indeed faulty and the cause of the overheating.

Oh, and another thing... After the good news about what's needed for the MOT I got home to find a letter from Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs in relation to my tax. It appears that they have over taxed me so I am due a refund of £530. Which pays for the Jag basically. :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment