Tuesday 28 February 2012

Day Two.

Lots of in town driving today with the heater wound right up to help with the cooling. The big cat didn't miss a beat! Felt fantastic wafting about Edinburgh with the window down, elbow out and the Jag purring away.

In a couple of days time I hope to be able to drain and flush the cooling system, replace the thermostat and probably the water pump & belts while I'm at it. Doing those tasks should help the Jag keep her cool.

The suspension clunk is still there though and also pops up as the nose lifts under acceleration. Subframe mount maybe? As for the pulling to the left, that was sorted by blowing up the tyres. 34psi all round. I'll keep an eye on the nearside front though seeing as it was down to about 10psi.

Having scored a small handling victory I set about the lights. Dipped beam on the offside is AWOL. A brand new replacement bulb didn't cure this so it needs further investigation. One of the brakelights is blown and needs replacing but, bizarrely, a suspected blown bulb on the inner nearside tail light has fixed itself... Thankfully all the other electrics seem to be fine though I haven't tried Sport mode on the gearbox, played with the cruise control, the traction control or opened the sunroof - I don't know how to work them!

Another intermittent development is the jolt experienced as the gearbox takes up drive and reverse. I don't know if they are meant to do that - having never driven an auto until yesterday - but an transmission fluid and filter change won't do it any harm I suppose.

I'll round up day 2 by looking forward to MOT time tomorrow, but I'll be waiting with baited breath to hear what the verdict is. I am expecting a fail, just how much of a fail remains to be seen. The worst case scenario is that work will be needed that I can't do myself. If that's the case then I may have to swallow a bill. Par for the course really when you buy any cheap motor with a short ticket.

The ultimate goal for H9 WAP though is a return to A1 condition. It may just take a wee while!

No comments:

Post a Comment