Thursday 10 May 2012

Transmission Service...

I haven't wrote much about the Jag over the last few weeks because to be fair it hasn't been used much, other than for short runs to the college or to local attractions. For most of the time she's been sat under a cherry tree in a nice part of town, just watching the world go by while my other car got hammered everywhere.

Today though I added a good few miles to the odometer as the Jag came to college with me so that I could finally do the delayed transmission service.

The overall process itself was pretty simple: open the bonnet, release the transmission dipstick, raise the car on a 4-post ramp and remove the end of the dipstick pipe on the autobox sump to let the old fluid drain away into a suitable container. Once that is done, unbolt the sump, remove it and the rubber seal, then unbolt the filter plus its 'O' ring. With the sump and bolts off give them all a good clean, plus remove the wee magnets on the inside of the sump to clean them of any debris. Re-fit in reverse order, making sure the gasket/seal mating faces are clean and that the bolts aren't cross-threaded. With the car back down, slowly fill the autobox with new fluid through the dipstick pipe using a small bore funnel. Roughly 5 litres should have drained out, so put at least 5 back in. Once that's all done, start the car and with the foot on the brakes begin to cycle through the gears. Let everything heat up then with the car in 'Park' check the fluid level in the box using the dipstick. Top up as necessary then take the car for a spin.

Now, if I'd been clever - which I'm not - I would have taken photos of the whole process. Ooops... You will have to use your imagination I'm afraid! One thing to picture is the state of the old fluid. Fresh ATF is a clear rose pink colour - the stuff that was initially drained out the Jag looked more like tobacco juice or black coffee, with loose tea leaves in. It smelled burnt too. It was knackered...

The difference in the Jag now that the new fluid is in the 'box is really noticeable. Much more so that I thought it would be. The gearchanges while on the move are a lot smoother and quieter. You barely notice them. In fact he car feels more lively, more responsive. Particularly from a standing start and in kickdown. I had no frame of reference as to how the gearchanges should be but I could tell they weren't brilliant. Beforehand the Jag just felt 'slushy' on the road. Now it doesn't, so I enjoyed a good drive for the rest of the day, even though the weather was 'dreich'.

First port of call after college, and an appointment with the choke cable on an Austin 7 Box Saloon at Mulsanne Motors, was Pentland Powder Coating in Loanhead to get a quote for refurbishing my wheels. It turns out they have a polished aluminium finish which the powder coaters will not be able to replicate. They can refurbish the current wheels and apply almost any finish, just not the original factory one. Looks like sorting the wheels will be a back burner project for a wee while as refurbishing/replacing them could prove expensive.

Following that trip I drove around Edinburgh, lots. The overheating gremlins that dogged the £600 Sov in the beginning are banished. Her replacement twin fans are doing a great job of keeping her cool. I noticed that the power steering was cutting out during very low speed parking manoeuvring but I know that one of the electrical connections is broken so it could just be loose. Not worried about it though.

While parked up for a wee bit after a particularly arm-straining 30-point turn in deepest Leith, I discovered how to play with the trip computer/odometer display to show my MPG, average speed and so on. I also mucked about with the electric mirror and window controls to make sure everything works and I sussed out how to manually alter the speed of the heater fan motor. All wee things that add to experience and make me smile.

So, the next job I'd like to tick off the list of things to do on H9 WAP is servicing the differential. This needs drained and re-filled with a specific type of oil called Shell Spirax. I doubt what's in there has ever been replaced so putting fresh fluid in won't do any harm. I also want to fix the seat adjusting mechanisms which seem to have stopped working on both sides of the car. The motors run but there's no movement. Not a major issue as my seat is in a comfy position, but it's one I'd like to address. On the whole though the Jag is running brilliantly and I feel very lucky indeed to be driving her, : )




No comments:

Post a Comment