Friday 25 May 2012

History Mystery...

As you'll know, H9 WAP was bought without a scrap of history or paperwork. None. Not a jot. I broke one of the golden rules of buying any car and took one hell of a chance on it. Still glad I did mind!

Anyway, there was at least one wee tiny bit of information with the car, namely its last MOT and a V5 registration certificate. On the day of the sale, using those documents, I did some online digging and managed to source the Jag's previous MOT history back to 2006 (she was on 105,000 miles at that point - only 119,900 now... ). This information was useful because it let me see all the passes, the fails, and the advisories against her over the last few years. I was therefore able to make an educated guess as to what sort of maintenance had been done to the car over that period of time. For example, the advisories in 2006 were:

  • All Coil spring corroded (2.4.C.1b)
  • Nearside Rear Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)
  • Both Front wheel bearing has slight play (2.5.A.3c)
  • Both Rear wheel bearing has slight play (2.6.2)
  • All Brake hose slightly deteriorated (3.6.B.4d)

Since then the coil spring corrosion has been noted on all the MOT's, but none of the other issues have which indicates they were fixed. Looking under the car at the visible pipes and testing for play in the bearings confirms this. Other stuff sorted over the years around MOT time have included blows in the exhaust, faulty Lambda Sensors and dodgy lights. 

It bugs me that I don't have a history though with details on what else was done and where. So I set about getting some. 

Armed with the advice from the Jaguar Enthusiast's guru Rob Jenner, I nipped into the Jag dealer in Edinburgh to ask for information from their DDW (Direct Dealer Warranty) system. Stratstone couldn't give me much but did point me in the direction of where H9 WAP came from - which is Cheltenham in England and a dealership called 'H.A. Fox' on Rutherford Way. I decided to give them a phone to see what information they have and to my surprise found that they had carried out all the servicing and any warranty related repairs needed on H9 WAP for the first few years of its life. The last record they had was around late 1999 where the recorded mileage was around 40,000. 

In an example of going beyond the call of duty, the chap I spoke to at Fox's offered to trawl their archives, pull all the original paperwork, photocopy it, then send it to me free of charge!

My next step once I receive the info from Fox's is to contact the DVLA to request the registration history, which will give me a list of former keepers. Once I have that I can write to them and ask for any paperwork they have, or tales relating to the car. If I get a response it will help me further add to this Jaguar's Tale.




No comments:

Post a Comment