Tuesday 12 June 2012

Going in the right direction...

Apologies for the lack of recent updates. Things have been happening to the Jag, but as the college course has drawn to a close that's been my main focus.

The Motorcycle and Small Engines Maintenance & Repair experience (actually with a heavy bias towards general automotive maintenance & repair) has been great fun. I have completed all the outcomes and done so well that the college presented me with a 'Student of the Year' award! My application for next year has been accepted so I'll be moving onto City & Guilds Automotive Level 2, skipping the Level 1 course. I can't wait to get stuck in!

As the course came to an end, and even though all the assignments and assessments were taking priority, I managed to get the Jag into the workshop to sort out her wheel alignment, check for leaks, and wire brush some of the underside in preparation for undersealing it at a later date. I'd been putting up with an off-centre steering wheel and odd cornering behaviour for a bit (easier to turn left than right) so it was time to sort things. I used a 4-post ramp to get the Jag airborne, wire brushed and WD40'd the track rod ends, then walked away for a cup of tea to let the WD40 do its stuff. Once back I got out the 4-wheel laser alignment gear, set the steering wheel to straight ahead, and sprayed the track rod ends again before starting any adjustments. The initial readings on the alignment gear confirmed that the alignment was well out. It was a quick fix though and within minutes the front wheels were both pointing in the right direction. The rears were within 1mm of each other. I really should have checked them first to make sure the thrust line of the car was dead on, but the 1mm difference is OK.

Here are a few pics of the job in progress...


Laser alignment gear all set...


Offside track-rod end. The spring you see is probably the wrong one for the car. It doesn't match the nearside! That wire dangling down is the earth for the ABS. Before clean up everything you see here was caked in mud, dirt, grime, oil, coolant and transmission fluid from all the various leaks. No major leaks to report now though!


Rear A-frame and under car view. What lies beneath, eh? Well, a fair bit of surface corrosion, but no holes! Overall it's in really good condition for a 15 year old car with nearly 120,000 miles. The rust has been brushed off and I'll give it another going over before the whole of the underside is coated in Tetraseal or something similar. The exhaust has seen better days though. More on that later!


Pointing in the right direction...

Now, as it's prudent to do when underneath the car, I had a poke about at any rusty bits. The chassis is good, including the sills and arches, but one of my silencers for the exhaust now has a hole in it. Makes the car sound a bit bad-boy, but it has to go. 


Poke, poke... D'oh!

A quick bit of welding after the area has been cut back a bit and dressed will maybe sort this out for the meantime. Ideally though I'd like a new exhaust for peace of mind and because I want to bring the Jag back to excellent condition. On almost every XJ I've seen, the rear silencers rot out here. I couldn't see a drain coming down onto them, but there must be some reason for such localised corrosion? Answers on a postcard please!

After the alignment had been done I can report that the Jag drove much better. The steering wheel wasn't canted over and the cornering had improved. I decided to use it for a couple of days and took the opportunity to go to my first Jaguar Enthusiast's Regional Meeting at the Craig House near Dalkeith. It was a rand night out with like-minded people and I was able to begin the process of sorting out new wheels etc. thanks to Rob Jenner. H9 WAP's current ones are too far gone to reasonably restore so I'm thinking about a set of XJR rims. 

So, now that college is over for the summer I'm a bit stuck for workshop space. Having said that though I hope that Ross at Mulsanne Motors will be able to let me on a ramp long enough to do a service, the underseal and re-charge the air con at some point. Maybe the minor welding too! 


No comments:

Post a Comment