Monday 5 March 2012

Day Eight...

DAMMIT!

The Jag has been on the street by my home for only a week and it has already been vandalised. Sometime between Thursday evening and today some idiot has dragged a key along the bonnet, the nearside wing and somehow managed to scratch the roof above the rear nearside door too. I am raging. Though there's nothing they can do I've reported it to the police. If other residents in the area have suffered damage too then maybe patrols will be increased or something.

As for fixing it, well there's no point in calling my insurance. I just have to suck it up and add another bit of the bodywork to the 'to do' list. It may polish out but the scratches are right down to the undercoat...


On the plus side though it did mean a pleasant wee drive to a quieter, posher part of town just a few minutes walk away, where I hope the Jag will be treated with a bit more respect. She started first time, no fuss, and seemed eager for a run. I noticed that the fuel gauge was bouncing all over the shop so perhaps the indicated fuel burn isn't what it was and there's actually a problem with the sender. It now reads half a tank. There is no way, NO WAY the Jag could have burned 40-odd litres in less than 10 miles since fill up. The tank certainly isn't leaking. Once she's MOT'd and legal I'll run it till the tank is almost empty then remove the sender to give it a clean. Hopefully that will make a difference.

Keeping with the positive vibes I bought a thermostat and coolant temperature sensor today for fitting on Thursday. Those - and a flush of the radiator - should help with the cooling issues. The cost was less than £40.

The cost tally so far is...

Car - £600.00
MOT - £50.00
Balljoint & 2 Tyres - £98.00 (est.)
Thermostat & Sender - £37.64
Insurance - £209.10  
Fuel - £85.00 (most of which hasn't been used)
Bulbs - £5.00

Coolant, Redex, some oil, some & cleaning stuff I already have, while the valeting at college was free.

Running Total - £1084.74

So, I'm over my budget of £1000 but that's due to the cost of the fuel being added in. Without that being taken into consideration - I'm bang on target. Yes, there are other things to do, replacement front springs for instance but I've sourced some for £20 a side and fitting can be done at the college or with help from the owner's club. The paintwork is a consideration too but maybe a rattle can, some sandpaper plus assistance again from people who know what they are doing should mean an acceptable repair for minimal outlay.

And let's face it, if you take into account the tax rebate that I unexpectedly received, which basically pays for the Jag, then all I've spent so far is £554.74...




No comments:

Post a Comment