Thursday 8 March 2012

Day Eleven... Back to School

Today was a learning experience. Always double check any work you do on a car to make sure everything is as it should be. It's never a problem until it leaves the workshop... Today, I forgot to do that, and learned a bit of a lesson.

The Jag was in at the college for the thermostat & temp sensor to be fitted, the coolant flushed and replaced, plus the upper cooling fan was to be checked for serviceability. I also had it in mind to trace the oil leaks and clean up the underside of the old barge too.

Everything went to plan thanks to the great cooperation and help from my classmates and lecturers, but I forgot to ensure that the bottom radiator hose was seated and fully tightened. As a result of that oversight, on the lunchtime test drive the low coolant light popped on and, thinking I had to just top it up, I discovered on my return to the college that the bottom hose had come adrift and ALL the fresh, new coolant and de-ionised water was gone. Some swearing, a new jubilee clip and 2nd refill sorted everything out. Won't be doing that again though.

I'm pleased to say that after the drama, the new bits fitted do make a difference. No more running too cold. However, both the engine cooling fans still do not come on. The upper fan has been confirmed as faulty which means it needs to be replaced as soon as possible. In the meantime I need to avoid being stuck in traffic.

The oil leaks have been traced to the connections for the autobox cooler, plus a possible weep from the crankshaft oil seal. The car really needs pressure washed underneath to track the origins down for sure. Wherever the leaks are coming from it has been a long term issue. A thick coat of oil and dirt covers the underside of the Jag, preserving the bits it has clung to. I don't like it losing oil or ATF though so will be looking to address the leaks as soon as practically possible.

While the Jag was up on the ramps I took the opportunity to clean out the dirt caught in the arches, which left me with four neat piles of crap to sweep up. The collected gunk in the arches can cause them to rust badly by acting as a moisture trap. I'm glad they are cleaned up because fixing mechanicals is one thing but sorting rusted bodywork is most definitely another. Speaking of bodywork I re-set the rear bumper a bit to make it sit nicer. The reason it doesn't in the first place is due to broken brackets. It is actually held up by a cable tie or 2 if you look closely. Again, brackets are other parts to add to the list of bits needed.

The minor problems and frustrations are starting to build and I'm a bit fed-up. I admit to having lost a bit of my mojo.All I want to be able to do is drive the Jag without worrying when it's going to boil or what's going to fall off. The potential for it to be a great car is all there though, she just needs the TLC that's been so evidently lacking in the past.

I suppose it's like taking a rescue animal home. It's an unknown quantity, a stranger. It might bite you, hide in a corner or be generally awkward until there's a trusting relationship built up. Right now I'm doing my best for the Jag and want to take care of it - but I don't trust it yet...



No comments:

Post a Comment